7.14.2012

Mash-Up: On Board






last image via Vogue.com


CK1 from RVCA on Vimeo.


For a long time, I've found skate culture to be inspiring. It's a little rebellious, laidback, and a cooler alternative to a bicycle (even with bikes being a legitimate accessory on street style blogs like The Sartorialist). Movies like Lords of Dogtown have motivated dreams of one day living in SoCal, and online skate videos have made me wish I could do some of the crazy tricks the pro skaters do (including gravity-defying moves like riding on walls - no idea how they do it). Even the way skaters fall is impressive - they know exactly how to roll and land to (usually) not break any limbs. With all this skill and swag comes style that fashion can hardly compete with. Sure, your 10 year-old punk neighbor who tries skateboarding around your street may not seem too inspiring, but I still wish to one day live in NYC and pass pedestrians up in my ballet flats... on my board.